. . . a passion for teaching photography . . .
Rick Hulbert is an international award–winning and published architect, urban designer, and photographer. As a photographer, Rick has been named a “Laureate” within the worldwide Nikonians community.
Rick is currently teaching a variety of photography workshops on behalf of the following institutions and organizations:
- Vancouver Photo Workshops
- The Nikonians Academy
- Simon Fraser University
- Visual Adventures
- IDCEC (Interior Design Continuing Education Council)
Rick has been a frequent lecturer, teacher, and seminar panel participant on four continents. He has been named a Fellow in the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, which is among the highest honours that can be bestowed upon a member. He is a former President of the Architectural Institute of British Columbia. Notably, Rick is also an Academician in the Royal Canadian Academy of the Arts, one of the youngest members ever to be elected to that august body. As an architect, Richard has won design awards or has had his works published each and every year for the past 35 years.
Rick’s educational philosophy includes the following notions:
- Adults learn more from storytelling than from memorization
- Learning is heightened when key principles can be related to a humorous event
- Effective learning arises when knowledge is self-discovered with directed input, as opposed to “taught”